Wednesday, August 14, 2013

 This weeks blog is all about 
this past weekends visit by 
"The Dish With Dean"
to the wonderful Gulf of Mexico 
in south Florida!
Arriving on Thursday evening I was quickly wisked away to one of my favorite places in Tampa Florida!
Dinner is always an adventure because I come here for something very specific.
The Blackened Grouper Reuben sandwhich on Marble Rye. 
Only tonight my hosts had a few other ideas to start us off.
 Oysters at Skippers were sweet and delicious. They were not plump but that's OK! 
I also ordered some Conch Fritters that were a treat that I must have upon my visit here. 
For dinner I had the Blackened Grouper and it was as always a great choice.
On the left is the amazing Grouper Reuben and on the right is a Ahi Carpaccio.
 Can't forget the Hush Puppies
Remember the real reason I come to Skippers is the music.
I have always arrived on a Thursday night to enjoy the music of the 
Grateful Dead played by Uncle Johns Band
 
If you ever are in the area check out Skippers. 
Follow them on Facebook and watch for their music events. There are always surprises at Skippers.
Next up...400 Beach Seafood and Tap House




Located downtown St. Petersburg Florida  
Right smack in the middle of a hopping busy town.
Joined by my hosts who all live in the Tampa area, I was well taken care of. For them it was very stressful because they had to take me to places that would live up to 
"The Dish With Dean"
as well as my audience!
First thing first was the Wine!
A wonderful malbec from Argentina.
The wine was not a showoff with it's berry flavor and surprisingly supple feel on the palate. Very enjoyable drink!
Our server Kendra was in my opinion the most knowledgeable waitress I have ever met. 
She knew the menu inside and out and knew what ingredients were used and why!
 Her recommendation of this seafood Chili was right on target. Featuring chunks of fresh fish and delicate seafood, it could have been my meal. (Of course not)
We also enjoyed the Grilled Chicken Satay.
Loaded with peanut sauce dripping from the stick and laid on a bed of fresh pineapple. 
Moist and tender and a nice size portion.
 Pictured above is a classic old world favorite. Grilled Pork chops.
Smoked Bacon, Sage and Apple Butter served with New Potato Hash.
Cooked to perfection!
 Seared Sea Scallops served with Chorizo Roasted Corn Risotto that were sweet as sugar.
Delicately seared to lock in the flavor and served at the perfect temperature. 
This dish was an absolute must to have. A spiney Lobster tail rolled with bacon. 
A little too salty for me but Mr. Fred enjoyed it all the same. 
Wine & Scallops 
My dish was highly recommended and when asked why, I was told that the Beach Crab Cakes were created tall and not flat and what held them all together was not your typical breading but bound together by Goat Cheese. 
Served with Roasted Corn Salsa and the New Potato Hash.
I did not fully appreciate the Goat Cheese in the Crab Cake because I found the Crab Cake to be slightly dry. Had to use all the salsa to add flavor.
The sauteed spinach was also a great side dish and was really cooked well. The garlic and olive oil blend was great.
3 stars for this place but 5 stars for our amazing server, Kendra!
A must when you have the chance!
Enjoy from 
"The Dish With Dean"

No comments:

Post a Comment